Right off the bat, what even is blockchain?
The term “blockchain” refers to connected data where each “block” in the interconnected “chain” carries data of its predecessor.
So, what brings you to this field of blockchain development today?
You’re probably thinking about how to become a blockchain developer because of the raging buzz about it everywhere. Fintech, healthcare, and supply chain management are just some industries utilizing blockchain ledgers which will have a demand for your skills, amongst other benefits of becoming a blockchain developer.
A report by Burning Glass Technologies found that job postings for blockchain positions increased by 115% between 2016 and 2018 in the United States. The average salary of a blockchain developer in the US is 1,08,539 USD. Therefore, one of the obvious benefits of becoming a blockchain developer would be an increasing bank balance!
Ready to build your career in blockchain? You’ve landed at the perfect place!
What is Blockchain?
A “blockchain”, according to McKinsey, is a distributed, decentralized digital ledger that keeps track of transactions across numerous computers.
It is well known for its application in cryptocurrency systems like Bitcoin, providing safe and decentralized transaction records. A blockchain is novel because it guarantees data confidentiality and fidelity, fostering confidence without
There are 3 types of blockchain networks: public (fully decentralized and accessible blockchain) , private (that is run by a single organization and is centralized) and consortium blockchain (a combination of a public and private blockchain run jointly) and having the rights skills for becoming a blockchain developer shall enable you to construct either of these.
What Is Blockchain Development?
Before we dive into how to become a blockchain developer, let’s be sure of what the term “blockchain development” refers to.
Blockchain development is the process of using the fundamentals of blockchain technology (decentralization, cryptography etc.) to develop apps or solutions.
Creating bitcoin exchanges, supply chain management systems, digital identity verification systems, and voting systems are a few typical examples of blockchain development. If you need more clarity on whether this is the right fit for you in the world of computer science, check out the Career Guide we have curated for you!
The smart contract is one instance of a new blockchain invention. Like conventional contracts, smart contracts are written agreements between two parties and developing one will be amongst the important skills for becoming a blockchain developer for you..
What Does a Blockchain Developer Do?
So how do we break down this vast field into roles for you? The responsibilities of an SQL developer will not vary much across the two and include developing smart contacts, designing and building decentralized Apps (dApps) and, of course, testing and debugging.
There are 2 roles a blockchain developer can play in any organization, and knowing your preference will help you as a first step in your journey towards how to become a blockchain developer.
- Core Blockchain Developer: Blockchain system architecture is created and maintained by core developers. In addition to managing the entire network, they create protocols and security patterns.
- Blockchain Software Developer: On top of already-existing blockchain systems, blockchain software developers create applications. They take care of development, design, and maintenance for the front-end and back-end.
How to Become a Blockchain Developer?
If you’re feeling overwhelmed by the extent of information available regarding how to become a blockchain developer, we have got you covered by narrowing it down to Six Simple Steps!
1. Learn the Fundamentals of Blockchain
The first step in learning how to become a blockchain developer would be to learn the basics of what this field entails by joining certain online communities, including blockchain groups on social media, to stay updated with its jargon and trends.
Another hack to get you started on becoming a blockchain developer would be to watch a couple of online blockchain tutorials on YouTube to get a feel of what you are getting yourself into.
2. Get the Certification or enrol in a Blockchain course or bootcamp
Once you’ve gained a foundational understanding of blockchain technology, the next crucial step towards becoming a blockchain developer is to enrol in a blockchain course or bootcamp and earn a certification. This step will equip you with the practical skills and knowledge needed to build blockchain-based applications and smart contracts and demonstrate your expertise to potential employers.
By enrolling in a reputable blockchain course or bootcamp, you’ll gain access to expert instructors, hands-on training, and real-world projects that will help you build a portfolio of blockchain projects.
Earning a certification will give you a competitive edge in the job market and demonstrate to potential employers that you have the skills and knowledge needed to develop blockchain-based applications.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to take your blockchain development skills to the next level. Enrol in the Certified Blockchain Developer course by Blockchain Council today and become a certified blockchain expert!
3. Learn the Related Programming Skills
While we have listed down a checklist of all skills for becoming a blockchain developer later on in this blog but what we can already assure you of is that online courses and bootcamps are a lifesaver in developing each one of these skills and helping you become a blockchain developer from scratch.
The best blockchain courses should be on your to-do list from the first day to ensure that you can compete in the job market for blockchain developers.
4. Get Required Skills
There are a few technical abilities that you need to master when thinking about how to become a blockchain developer from scratch:
- Proficiency in programming languages, particularly OOPs ideas. There are several other options too, including Python, C++, and Java.
- An understanding of networking and database fundamentals. You will better comprehend distributed systems and other crucial ideas for blockchain development owing to this.
5. Learn about Cryptonomics
We cannot speak of blockchain without mentioning cryptocurrency omics, which is a fundamental component of blockchain development. It combines the concepts “cryptography” and “economics” and results in the name “cryptonomics.”
To complete the Cryptonomics curriculum, you must learn about a number of important concepts, including transaction fees, mining, the lifetime of a Bitcoin transaction, and many others. Count these as essential skills for becoming a blockchain developer.
6. Get Some Hands-On Experience
Although it is a speciality, blockchain development includes a number of focus areas. Think about picking a few of the subjects from the list of pertinent abilities above that caught your attention and start applying for internships or volunteer your skills at an emerging blockchain firm that you look up to.
This would be a brilliant way to put all the theories into action and network within the industry. This step in the journey of how to become a blockchain developer will help you determine whether this field is the right fit for you in practice!
7. Look for a Job as a Blockchain Developer
Lastly, now that you have the skills and experience update your resume and build a portfolio to present to your next recruiter as proof of your skill. Land yourself a job based on your industry connections or through sheer merit, and voila! You have become a blockchain developer from scratch!
10 Most Essential Technical Skills Required For Blockchain Developers
Here are the 10 most essential technical skills required for blockchain developers:
- Cryptography: You will need a thorough understanding of cryptography to ensure the secure transmission and storage of data. A blockchain developer must have a good grasp of hash functions, digital signatures, encryption, and decryption algorithms.
- Smart Contracts: Next up in your steps to becoming a blockchain developer are self-executing computer programs that automate the execution of a contract. A blockchain developer should have an in-depth knowledge of smart contract development languages such as Solidity and its ecosystem.
- Distributed Computing: Our list of skills for becoming a blockchain developer would be incomplete without decentralization, security, and fault tolerance. A blockchain developer should have a solid understanding of distributed computing, including distributed consensus algorithms and peer-to-peer networking.
- Blockchain architecture: There’s no point in thinking about how to become a blockchain developer without an in-depth understanding of the underlying blockchain architecture, including block structure, consensus mechanisms, and network protocols.
- Data Structures and Algorithms: A strong foundation in data structures and algorithms is critical to ensure the efficiency and scalability of blockchain systems.
- Web Development: For developing blockchain-based applications that communicate with consumers, web development expertise is required. A blockchain programmer should have knowledge of building web applications with React, Angular, or Vue. js. If you feel you are lagging behind, here are some Web Development Courses and Bootcamps for you!
- Database Management: As blockchain technology requires effective data storage and retrieval, a blockchain developer should have knowledge with database management systems, including SQL and NoSQL databases which is an essential skill when considering how to become a blockchain developer.
- API Integration: An understanding of API integration is important for integrating blockchain applications with external systems and services.
- Testing and Debugging: To guarantee that blockchain applications work as intended and are free from bugs and vulnerabilities, you should have experience testing and debugging blockchain applications as a blockchain developer.
How to Become a Blockchain Developer – FAQs
How to Become a Blockchain Developer With No Coding Experience?
Learn how to do programming specific to blockchain development as step one, and you will be good to go.
How Hard Is It to Become a Blockchain Developer?
Blockchain development is a relatively tough area and requires immense dedication and practice.
What is the Career Outlook for Blockchain Developers?
Despite being in its early development stage, there is a growing demand for blockchain talent across various industries.
Is Being a Blockchain Developer a Good Job?
It is highly rewarding if your interest lies in programming and immensely rewarding financially.
In conclusion, there is immense demand for blockchain developers from the worlds of finance, healthcare, and supply chain management which have all been transformed by blockchain technology. This presents you with huge benefits of becoming a blockchain developer, most prominently, wholesome pay!
Public, private, and consortium blockchains are the three different forms of blockchain networks that you should consider when targeting one narrow speciality for becoming a blockchain developer.
Learning the principles of blockchain, developing associated programming skills, gaining essential technical skills, learning about “cryptonomics”, gaining practical experience, and looking for employment as a blockchain developer are the five steps to becoming one.
Still, wondering how to become a blockchain developer? Build your programming talents as detailed above, and you’ll be on track in no time!